Wii U Mad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The difference between casual and hardcore games

Go down

The difference between casual and hardcore games Empty The difference between casual and hardcore games

Post by inversense Fri May 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Ive witnessed a lot of differing views on what is a hardcore game and what is a casual game. Many people would say nintendo games are generally casual, while the other companies, sony and microsoft, produce hardcore games (usually fps/M rated) I dont believe hardcore games are determined by:
-graphics
-blood/gore
-guns+explosions
-company/console
-art style(cartoony or realistic)

I would expect to see these characteristics in a hardcore game:
-Difficult(requires skill a non-gamer could not replicate/you die...A LOT)
-Deep(not easy to "jump in to"/holds many hours of gameplay)
-Strategic(requires the player to actually think/you find yourself getting stuck on a difficult boss or puzzle)
-ungracious(doesnt give hints or hold your hand/may require the player to discover certain mechanics on their own)

now to me, a lot of nintendo games seem to have these characteristics(loz MM is very hard and originally as a kid took me 3 years to beat and it took me a year to beat it recently(i got all masks but not even close to doing everything in the game) yet i beat black ops in one night without even thinking.I especially think a lot of older games seem to show characteristics of what i think a hardcore game is, which is probably why i love the virtual console on the wii shop channel(just got chrono trigger mon. this game is amazing i cant believe i didn't play it earlier!)

This is my list off the top of my head, feel free to add to it or tell what you think the difference between a hardcore and casual game is.
inversense
inversense
NES
NES

http://www.pointerpointer.com

Back to top Go down